I started yesterday by getting part of the way to work before realizing I was still wearing my pink floral bathroom slippers. This could work, I thought. But probably not for the whole weekend Up (A Bit) North.
Forward a few hours and it took me SEVEN hours to get from London to Parent Land. It shoulda only taken two and a bit. There was flooding on the track, going nowhere for an hour while "situation was assessed", train going back on itself to remote village, standing in the cold with 250 others waiting for replacement buses that had not shown an hour and a half later, and 250 people getting irate with Little Village station staff who had barrackaded themselves in for safety. In the meantime, leaders, jokers, and trouble makers emerged from this small band of survivors. Little Bro (who I was keeping informed by text) suggested that I'm probably one of the mysterious extras who might get a back story in Series 2. I wasn't irate. I thought the whole thing was hysterical. I kept this to myself.
Replacement bus, resembled a school bus. Driver said it would take TWO hours just to get to civilization. Then his windscreen wiper broke. And then the other. "I think you guys are having a bad day", he said. Oh how we laughed. And then I put my seat belt on.
Civilization had a picturesque little railway station that we could barely see as it was now almost midnight. Two hundred and fifty people raided the one vending machine. I didn't like the way that elderly couple were eyeing my crisps.
And Eventually a train came to take us to Parent Land. I think I was sad it was over. I presented my siblings with a half eaten family sized block of Cadburys Dairymilk. You do what you have to to survive.
Think I can get a refund on me ticket?
Saturday, 13 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment