So I'd spent a week trawling through the dress shops of the city finding THE dress, about two months (on and off) trying to loose pounds, an afternoon appointment with a makeup artist and "take the pain, take the pain" as I tottered along on three inch spikes they call shoes out of the car and slowly along the gravel and into the grounds of an English heritage site for the very swish nuptials of one of my oldest friends, ONLY to stop for a moment too long to briskly greet a bridemaid when the heels of both feet sunk three inches into the grass and marooned me there. I was ACTUALLY honest to god stuck in the mud!
Fucking funny for the first five minutes..
So I went to all this effort on my appearance in homage to the Bride, the most glamorous woman I know, who has over the years baffled at my general lack of bothering. I think I did Sita proud. I got quite a few over amazed compliments along the lines of "fuck me, you scrub up well", and people's brothers and boyfriends who had never bothered to talk to me much in the past were suddenly REALLY talking to me. It was all abit disorientating. Nice, ofcourse, but well it it's not real is it? It's just makeup and a pretty frock.
Ah but the wedding was touching. The closeness of Sita's family was so evident it brought a lump to my throat. My regret is that in the last few years I've not been as close with her as we used to be. I racked my brain tring to think of the last time I'd had a proper long one to one conversation with her. And that's the crutch of it, I have a number of great mates, I wide circle of friends, but I keep everyone at just that little distance. I remain incredibly private.
The very best luck to you mate, I hope he's a keeper, and I hope you stay happy.
Monday, 23 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
it's nice every once in a while to shock people into realising you're actually a woman isn't it. i'm impressed about the spikes c. i'd be terrified of moving in them!
exactly! Sometimes, people (me included) forget I'm female. It's fun to remind yourself every now and then:)
I think i DID really well in the shoes- heck i even managed to dance in them. Well of a fashion, then i chucked them in a corner of the dancefloor and got down to some serious boogie-ing! :)
you danced in them?! wow, now i'm really impressed!
i was fairly worried about slipping and breaking my neck, but i did fairly well for a while there :)
However, I did walk bare foot (over gravel and wet grass) all the way back to the car- yeah i copped out at the last hurdle !
How on earth do women shop in stilettos?!
Post a Comment