get me wrong, there is no way on God's earth that I would want to move back to Home City, and I do absolutely love London, but Jesus can it be isolating/lonely here if you're new(-ish). It's been two years, and I still don't feel I have made a good set of friends who's company I enjoy or whom I've bonded with.
There are the work social crowd, some of whom are nice enough (but oh so young- did I tell you how bored I am by the Young?), but I guess I just don't have that much in common with. The work people I DO find interesting, tend to live further out and not do much socializing with collegues. Then there's my old housemate crowd, again nice enough when you can get them to go out in a group (not great, but nice enough- again the lack of conversational topics). God, don't get them one to one. Just gets weird and confessional (do I fecking look like Oprah?), and now hell's bells they've fallen out (there goes what to do for New Year out the window..). Current flatmate? No. Sister? God no (all I ask is one night a year not to have to be responsible for keeping you happy). I have an old work friend, who lives out a bit. Saw her the other night, but she's not so much fun without the rest of that crew. Have an old homey who lives here, but she's never not away working or something. There's a school friend who is dull as fuck now she has a husband surgically attached to her. And finally an assortment of blokes, most of whom, let's face it I should just avoid...
It's funny, really hits home, a) how much we are social creatures and how important great friends are to us, and b) how it takes time/history/shared experiences/common interests to build a set of truly excellent friends, who's company you really enjoy. If I could but transport my mates from Home City to London Town, I'd be a happier bunny (hopefully seeing the girls this weekend- woo!). Living in the middle of a place with so much to do, when there's a lack of people to do them with, is messing with my head. Lord, how tragic is this post? Next Week: C joins a knitting circle..
Tuesday, 15 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment