Thursday, 18 September 2008

Morning

I have my moments of acute loneliness. I try to keep my time full of work, people and things to do, but mornings can still be dangerous for it. I stood at the bus stop. I love this city, but no one talks to one another. If I didn't have friends, family and collegues, I could go days without speaking to another soul. I stood at the bus stop and watched a man talking to an old lady, giving her directions. Someone talking to someone else. The bus came and we sat on the only free seat next to eachother. Talk to me. Some one talk to me. At Waterloo I turned to him and asked if he knew whether the bus stopped at Holborn. Ofcourse it does, I get it every morning. He replied helpfully. Then the silence. He got off a few stops later, telling me my stop was the next one. Thank you I said, and looked out of the window feeling acutely lonely and more than a little pathetic. My eyes started to water and at that point a strange bloke started talking to me. I tried to be polite but I couldn't make out whether he was being friendly or hostile. I awkwardly rubbed the tears out of my eyes. It became apparent he was being very hostile. Some reference to my religion and race. I thought best not to retaliate. He got off the bus at my stop. I held back so that I was far behind, until I lost him in the crowd. I looked up at the sky and understood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very easy to feel so alone in a crowd. Almost makes you want to stay inside all the time, dunnit?

hugs

Anonymous said...

thanks:)

Anonymous said...

Talk to them first. They are probably thinking the same thing.