Tuesday, 6 May 2008

"Potential Breakdowns"

I knew the Bank Holiday was going to be..not good..as soon as I got summoned back to the homestead for a particular reason. I was convinced it would involve drawing me back into the thick of Bottomless Money Hell. And so, I wasn't a happy bunny making my way to the station, anticipating all manner of Parent money woes to come. I prolonged it by foregoing the tube and walking for over two hours in Saturday's sun to get to my train. However, I got the foreboding right, just the reason wrong.

As I toppled into the station, tired, hot and dehydrated and with less than 10 mins to my train, my Brother-in-Law rang. He uses the words "potential breakdown" in reference to my sister, and how I'm the only one that can get through to her and how I should actually get on a train in the opposite direction and spend the long weekend with them. Jesus. She has problems I know. I secretly resent that I have always dealt with my unhappiness alone and with a big fake smile plastered on my face, but with my sister I walk on egg shells to keep her happy and she doesn't care who knows when she's miserable. My happiness is fragile and I've only been as untroubled, relaxed and, dare I say it, happy, this last few months through being selfish, through shutting out everyone else's problems.

So I'm ringing and ringing and ringing her and she won't answer. And I'm worried and I don't know what to do. He's never rang me like this before. I can't tell my parents that I can't come home, because they'll get hysterical and think she's dying. And I know she'll respond badly to that. I call Bro-in-law back, he gets my dilemma. I tell him I'll be back next day. I keep ringing her. Catch my train in the brink of time, not having anytime to buy water or food. Spend next two hours on train, trying to ring her and desperate for water. At this point, I had to fight the tears.

And finally I arrive, Family's happy to see me, it's good to see them. They ask after my sister, I lie through my teeth. Make more attempted calls. Then my aunt wispers how she's worried about Mom. She used the words "potential breakdown". Like seriously, no shit. Saturday is spanning out really well. I leave them for two minutes, and everyone is on the verge of a fecking breakdown!

But I'm not responsible for everyone else's happiness. I can't deal with this.

And then you have the moments when everything is ok with the world; like saturday night as we all went out for Pizza and I ran as fast as I could [edited-cut]
***

Update: no breakdowns reported. I'm happy to be home.

Other dramas:
1) Bumping into Ex with wife and baby in tow.
2) Discovered that secret rendezvous cafe of Mr D and I was- "freaky coincidence"- next door to offices of people I know well and thus could have so had cover blown.
3) Diet and gyming is going PAINFULLY slow on the weight loss front- if you're naturally thin- I hate you. I have three weddings this summer- I don't want to be the fat bridesmaid- AGAIN!
4) Spotted- Steve Punt.

3 comments:

Brennig said...

Glad the breakdownage wasn't.

But bumping in to Ex with wife and baby in tow? Why did you have the Ex's wife and baby in tow?

:-)

Anonymous said...

You're right, it isn't your responsibility to administer happiness to others. Nor is it your responsibility to plaster a smile on your face that you don't feel, either.

Anonymous said...

yes, i'm learning that and feeling a heck of alot better about liing as a result :)